Monday, May 26, 2014

Katie and Hayden get nightstands with drawers and silly bun feet

Nightstands with storage are a necessity in the small loft condo.


These are built from matchboxes, which can be had at Dollar Tree in a ten-pack for $1. This technique is expounded upon in Eileen Mercer's Let's Make Doll Furniture (1975) which extols the virtues of re-using household items and limiting the extravaganza to maybe three colors of paint. I have read the book so many times that it may be imprinted on my DNA.






The gist of the matter is that you stack glue matchboxes in a stack, wrap contact paper around them, then glue on handles and feet. I decided that since no childlike hands will be fiddling with these nightstands, I could use my black-and-white dot push pins from Target to get a modern designer look.

Using more of these pins for the feet would have been nifty but would prevent the bottom drawer from opening, so I decided that modernism required silly bun feet in the palest wood in my stash of jewelry beads. My ambition may eventually stretch to removing the hot-glue strings.



To know more about related things:

No comments:

Post a Comment