Friday, October 27, 2023

Wigs arrive!

 

My order of wigs from out-of-business Monique arrived today from Factory Direct Crafts. I feel a mix of excitement and trepidation.


Here they are! The three brown wigs are candidates for Career Gal Emma. The blue one is the back-up for Cinderelsa the Project Doll, and the dark one with pink streaks is my first choice for her.

To review who these dolls are, this is Emma, who came from Family Dollar with her guitar and keyboard, and who now is rebodied onto a MTM Curvy body. Her hair looks okay-ish right now but is sparsely rooted and will age poorly.


This is Cinderelsa, my Project Doll that I found at Hope Chest, who was once sold with gift baskets by local distributor Wondertreats. Cinderelsa is waiting for her new body to arrive from China in mid-November. Cinderelsa has a pretty hair color but the most absurd rooting possible.


Seriously, look at this rooting pattern. And look at that border around the top of the skull and the actual point at the top! 


There was no realistic way to re-root this doll with her existing rooting. My favorite cheap-doll-hair method of dipping the head in glue, then in glitter, also wasn't going to work because her head shape is so distorted. A wig it's got to be!

But first, I'll have to get all those tufts out. Some come by just tugging, but most are in surprisingly firmly for the low quality of this doll. 

However, I can try on the two wig candidates.



The pink-streaked wig fits better, but I'll need to be careful with how her hairline is revealed. It also feels truer to the concept of Weird Barbie. The blue wig may be a little too large for her, though it doesn't look bad.

I was going to deal with Emma later, since her original hair is decent, but then I figured the point of wigs was to do wigs.



I chopped off Emma's lavish locks and started trying wigs. These two seem small for her head, though I might re-try the first one once the spiky remnants of her lavish locks are pulled out.



These two fit better, especially the blue one. I feel like the blonde one is cute but a little aging and a little boring. In the blue one, Emma starts showing a personality -- one that calls for a better dress than her current bland Curvy outfit.

My next little while will be spent pulling stubborn cheap hair fiber out of stubborn cheap heads.




No comments:

Post a Comment