Sunday, July 8, 2018

Twilight of the Blogs

A herd of Fashionistas supervises work on the kitchen fixtures of Meow Manor. I started that project a year ago, and it seems to have stalled out.

Only Kenzo, the skinny Ken with the man-bun, has any idea what's going on here.
The plan was to give the stove an induction cooktop. It went badly, so Kenzo's pride here is premature and misplaced.

Behold!
So back in May, I spent two weeks in California with my parents, while my (rental) bathroom was being rehabbed (shower was installed wrong, years before I moved in), and I squandered a good bit of my birthday money at the Toys R Us going-out-of-business sale and at other stores that also had cheap Fashionistas.

The raiding and hoarding started with the Curvy on the far left, now named Victoria. She was on sale at TRU. It clearly did not stop there.

If you were only going to buy one, why are there five here?
The plan then mutated into one of each body type. Okay, fine. You are now looking at Harper (Tall), Charlotte (Petite), Adele (the very dark gal with burgundy hair), and Isla (dark with white hair). They are still working out their roles in the gang, though Adele has a lock on being the tech wizard and Victoria is the sexy one.

So I swore I wasn't interested in Kens, nosiree, no Kens for me. Well, maybe one little Ken, if a TRU had the Skinny Ken with the man-bun. We went to every TRU in northern California and I finally scored one. That's Kenzo.

It's all about the man-bun.
Then Mom and I were in a Walmart and I dunno, somehow Ken (blond Regular to the left) and Kenton (medium beige Skinny, second from right) jumped into my basket. Kendrick (Bulky to the far right) was a last-minute TRU purchase, and darn, doesn't he look happy to have a home and friends.

These were not my only TRU and Walmart finds because why stop with nine Fashionistas if it's possible to completely fill one's luggage with the weird, cheap, and unusual. In upcoming posts (haha, will there be upcoming posts, or is this a dead blog?), you'll see a TRU clone and what is officially the Worst Fakie Ever (found in San Francisco).

Meanwhile, I got the urge to clean up and work on Meow Manor, which is one of those projects that ought to be simple but there keeps being one more thing and another more thing. I should have started with the upstairs and laid flooring, but here we are.





8 comments:

  1. I appear to be in a minority but I really despise the man bun, on humans or action figures! Great haul though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I think I'm the only person other than actual man-bun wearers who find them tolerable! The appeal of Kenzo was that he's sooooo much of our time and so different from everything traditional Ken presents as.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you about the manbun, JoJo. And SP, I hope this blog doesn't go dead. I would love to see your other finds, and updates on Meow Manor as you find the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! I'm going to clean off some kitchen counter from Meow Manor painting and photograph a new doll today -- finally clicked what I want to do/say.

      Delete
  3. The more, the merrier! At least that's what I feel myself to make myself feel better about the hoarding. ;). I just saw skinny Kenzo at Target the other day and should've grabbed him as that's the first time ive seen him. I have so many already so I stopped myself, but I may get him next time because he's so unique. I definitely want to get the happy guy on the far right, though as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My philosophy is that once you have four, the brakes come off, and the sky's the limit. Oh well. They each had features I wanted, and the prices were sure right.

      Delete
  4. They're like Lay's potato chips, but it's Barbie Fashionistas: Betcha can't buy just one. Have you seen the new ones in stores yet? They are beginning to show up in my area, and I really only want one but it's like I already said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen the new ones yet, but the only toy section I've been in since getting back to Phoenix is Walmart, and that was a couple weeks ago. Something to look forward to!

      Delete