Monday, January 15, 2024

More Dolly Insider questions, because I'm easily influenced

While I'm managing not to get around to a photoshoot for the Kid Kore Jodi I found for $1 at the Alameda Point Antique Faire, I've been experiencing feelings similar to the dismay of Teatime Tangents at the Dolly Insider questions being a one-year series that ended with 2023.

Admittedly, my answers after a while get boring and predictable: I collect mostly 1990s clone dolls, particularly Kid Kore; I sew and do light customization; yay me.

So I grabbed a couple questions that made me pause to think.

35. What doll would you like to see re-released?

If Mattel were to do a Mod TNT head mold on a playline doll with articulation, I'd at least think about getting one. I'm not up for buying collector versions, though, which makes me useless to Mattel. Alternately, bring back the 2010-ish Fashionista articulation as the playline standard.

39. If you could visit any doll company, which one would you visit?

I'd want a full tour of one of the doll factories in China, including a meeting (with translators, as needed) with their VP in charge of strategy or marketing or sales -- whatever role(s) are involved in the decisions about what to clone, what to offer as white label, and when to hop on a new trend.

Failing that, I'd go for Simba Toys, makers of Steffi Love and Evi Love. I'd like to learn about how the Love ecosystem is developed, particularly why Steffi can come in a pregnant version without anyone raising a ruckus. Also, why are there so few non-white Steffi and Evi variants?

45. What five dolls would you like to add to your collection?

This is a tough question because I've managed to find cheap most of the dolls I want. Acquiring the two Kid Kore guys was a big step toward completion. Let's see:

  • Kid Kore Piper (dark-haired) or Morning Dove (Native American). This is the Skipper-equivalent.
  • Kid Kore Girls Club or Carla. This is the 6" doll with a Katie face and a suspiciously similar to Creata Today's Girls ballerina body. She precedes the existence of Mattel Stacie.
  • Creata Today's Girls "Middle School" sister. This is presumably a Skipper equivalent.
  • Totsy Asian 11.5" doll, presumably a Mulan clone. She's tremendously pretty , and I've seen her only in a large lot with dolls I didn't want.
  • Mattel Jazzy (Barbie's cool teen cousin in the 1980s). This is a maybe -- periodically I look at her on eBay, bookmark about twelve of them, then decide none of them quite hit right to buy.

47. What long-discontinued doll line would you like to bring back?

I'd be most entertained by seeing a full revival of Topper "Dawn" and friends, but I don't think I'd personally buy it.

48. If you had $100 to splurge on doll items, what would you buy?

A full 1:6 kitchen would be a good starting point. 

51. What were your 2023 dolly wins?
This was the year I got back into collecting, found a lot of neat stuff, and bought it because it didn't cost very much.

The big cosmic win was when Dollar Tree started offering dolls with articulated knees, though.

52. What doll goals do you have for 2024?
Sewing outfits for the oddly sized members of the herd. I don't think this is the year for build them a house, but I might surprise myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment