Sunday, June 18, 2017

Fixer Upper: the second weekend brings wallpaper!

There are more ways to cut wallpaper wrong than to cut it right. (Infinity is larger than one!)

Bottom floor is re-papered, top floor is not.
Hanging paper was a tedious process, as the end walls have cracks, so it made sense to cut posterboard templates, Mod Podge the paper to the templates, and then glue the papered posterboard into place. My space is so limited that I could podge one back wall or a set of end walls at a time, and that's it.

And then it all warps and fits only so-so anyway. The doorways will definitely be getting trim that wasn't included in the original house.

O hai large flowers!
The desk with peach drawers is now a sophisticated black. I haven't entirely decided on the second color for the chair. Though blue painter's tape adds a jaunty industrial touch, it's a sign of things being in-progress, not an artistic statement. Fianna, supervising renovations, sits in an un-redone chair.

My punch list goes for days and days.
The fabric for the kitchen is going to be tea-dyed, possibly even tonight, when I finish cleaning up an experiment in authentic Irish soda bread that entirely explains why the Irish wanted to come to the U.S. for a better life.

Working our way toward industrial chic.
Meanwhile, Phineas marks the house as his. He hop-hopped onto the roof from the bed and went crazy. I guess the shingles feel good under the little cat chin.

It's mine, I tell you, it's MINE!

5 comments:

  1. If I had a house big enough and more hours in the day, I would definitely build a doll house after seeing this post. Your house looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you saying the Mod Podge is warping your poster board. When I want to avoid this problem, I use double sided tape. I know it can get expensive to buy rolls when you have a lot to wall paper, but I invest a little at a time to build up the supply. I only have to tape to corners, a few places along the sides an a few small pieces in the middle of the area to hold the 'wallpaper' to the posterboard. No bubbles, no warping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phineas is convinced this house is being renovated for him. If I had the space, I'd want a house similar to this that I could make into a bed and breakfast. The decor would be shabby chic throughout...something I could never do in my own house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really enjoying this renovation! Love what you've done so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic doll house! I can't wait to see it finished

    ReplyDelete